POST: FINANCE OFFICER
The goal of USAID Uganda’s five-year (2012-2017) Northern Uganda – Health Integration to Enhance Services (NU-HITES) project led by Plan International is to increase the availability and demand for essential health services in 15 project districts while strengthening and improving
the overall quality of Northern Uganda’s health system.
IntraHealth is a subcontractor to Plan International on the NU-HITES project providing technical assistance in Systems Strengthening and Quality and Performance Improvement. This position will be located at the NUHITES project office in Gulu.
The Finance Officer will offer fiscal leadership for the project, ensuring the project can effectively use USAID resources to meet project goals. S/he will be responsible for the financial systems of targeted IntraHealth technical work, including project budgeting, financial monitoring,
meeting legal, auditing, and contractual responsibilities and coordinating with Plan International as needed. S/he will be the principal financial representative of the project for IntraHealth.
• Provide guidance on all finance related matters
• Maintain and ensure timely recording of accurate accounting data in QuickBooks Accounting System
• Prepare and submit periodic financial reports for IntraHealth headquarters in Chapel Hill, USA within the specific deadlines and timeframes.
• Develop annual program budgets in consultation with the Chief of Party, Technical team and Chapel Hill based project management team
• Assist in estimation of quarterly project expenditures and accruals
• Manage bank accounts and ensure monthly reconciliation of bank accounts
• Ensure timely payments including reviewing of invoices, preparation of payment vouchers and other accounting documents in compliance with IntraHealth Field Accounting Policies.
• Determine the fund requirement and submit the Fund Request Statements to headquarters within the time frames and ensuring that funds are available at all times to meet the project requirements.
• Maintain the payroll system in coordination with the HR and Administration Officer to ensure accurate payment of salaries, benefits, allowances and taxes.
• Manage organizational risk and liability, particularly related to ensuring compliance with all relevant USAID regulations and local laws pertaining to financial transactions and subcontract agreements
• Ensure compliance with financial policies (e.g. per diem policy, etc.) and maintain and update in-country financial policies as needed
• Conduct analyses of financial data to inform project management as required
• Facilitate periodic internal and external audit and assist in implementation of recommendations
• Help the Technical team in preparation of activity budgets
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: • Masters Degree in Accounting and Finance • Possession of professional qualifications such as CPA or ACCA will be an added advantage • Minimum of five years of relevant financial management experience • Knowledge and experience with accounting software packages especially QuickBooks • Experience working with USAID-funded projects • Excellent financial and organizational skills and attention to detail • Ability to effectively communicate project financial information to a variety of different audiences • Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact professionally with diverse people, clients and consultants. • Computer literacy in MS Office applications including Word, Excel, Power Point; Outlook • Excellent oral and written communication skills in English • Excellent time manager • Excellent customer service skills
Job application procedure
Applications are invited from suitably qualified Ugandans to fill the following vacant post in the Uganda NU-HITES project. Applications should be addressed to the Human Resource and Administration Officer and should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org to be received not later than Friday, 02nd January, 2014.
Applicants should attach photocopies of their certificates and testimonials to their application. Total file size of attachments should not exceed 2MB. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. IntraHealth International, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.